connect

This past Friday I had the opportunity to go to a conference for my "Activism & Social Movements in Higher Education" class. The conference was held in downtown Philadelphia-- about a five minute subway ride from the GSE building- and spoke about how different campus groups use digital media as a tool to evoke change on their campus. This topic was not something that I was familiar with before attending & I am glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and went, I definitely learned a lot!
Brochure from the conference I attended last Friday, Social Innovation in a Digital Context.




My professor, Charles Davis III, was the keynote speaker at the event. It was really special to see a faculty member outside the classroom speaking on topics they are most familiar. Charles is an eloquent speaker & always finds ways to ensure his audience in engaged. For those of you who don't know me well, I am a HUGE Drake fan & Charles incorporated Drake lyrics into his presentation. Anybody who can use Drake in an academic presentation gets an A+ in my book! 

The "Activism & Social Movements" class meets every other Tuesday for four hours. One of our assignments is to interview students who are currently engaged in a form of activism on their campus. I chose to focus my assignment on Women's Rights activism. I am learning so much about tactics and strategies they are using to get their voices heard, along with certain struggles women fighting for their cause are facing. 

This upcoming week is pretty busy (as I feel like is every week!) but I am so glad I decided to attend PennGSE. I am learning so much & am truly connected with some of the best faculty in the world. The applications for the Fall 2016 semester are now live (and free until March 15th)! Be sure to apply or e-mail me with any specific questions concerning the program.

Until next time,

Austin

0 comments:

Post a Comment