size matters in college

"Size matters." These are the words spoken by Dr. Ann Tiao in our class Contemporary Issues in Higher Education (which happens to be my favorite class). Granted, Ann was talking about how governance in institutions vary based on size, but the phrase size matters got me thinking about my decision to choose Penn.

The grad school application process is an emotional roller coaster, straining on your heart, confidence, and wallet. Five months ago, with April 15 quickly approaching, I had my potential schools narrowed from eight to two: Penn and a rural, land grant state school in the Midwest.

My undergraduate institution was also a  rural, land grant state school on the west coast. I found comfort in that "college town feel." I wanted an atmosphere where I was close with my cohort and surrounded by the safety that comes with a small sized town.

Philadelphia. Population 1.5 million. "How in the world would I be able to find comfort and friends coming from a town of 36,000 to 1.5 million?" I thought. Furthermore, I never considered myself a "stereotypical" Ivy Leaguer. I never had a membership to a country club and polo shirts and tennis skirts never made an appearance in my wardrobe.

These preconceived notions of what made up Penn and Philadelphia overall could not be more wrong. The people I have met here are so genuine to their core and are beyond passionate in what they do. They come from all backgrounds and experiences and I am so honored to be part of their cohort. We all look out for each other and treat each other like family.

"Austin, I have a present for you!" said one of my friends as she walked into class today. The past two days I have had a horrible headache (likely due to the fact that I have been running on no sleep and Red Bull) and have been asking everybody in my classes if they had any sort of pain relief on them. She handed me a brand new bottle of Ibuprofen.  A whole bottle she bought just for me! A simple gesture that meant the entire world.

Being alone in a new city is scary. Being 2,000 miles away and three hours ahead from all my family is hard. Thankfully, I am blessed to be surrounded by the faculty and staff that make up the tight knit community at Penn GSE. They truly are one in 1(.5) million.

-Austin

Taking a break from classes last week for Philadelphia's City Center Sips, a great happy hour held every summer in the city. This is my view while drinking a glass of wine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment