the penn gse difference-welcome to my story

Hi everyone! Welcome to my blog. Whether you are an incoming student or a prospective student, I hope my story and experiences get you excited about The University of Pennsylvania's Graduate School of Education (Penn GSE).

I was very hesitant to attend Penn GSE. I am a West-Coaster at heart. I grew up in Las Vegas and completed my undergraduate work at a large state school on the west coast. Being over 2,000 miles away from my friends and family has been a little hard, but my amazing cohort and the caring faculty and staff has made the adjustment a little easier.

Fall semester has just started, but I already feel adjusted. I took a class this summer called "College Student Health" with Dr. Ross Aikins. The class explored many issues that many college students face including alcohol abuse, sexual violence, and mental health problems, such as depression and eating disorders. I loved it! Very interesting topics and ones are that are very pertinent in higher education.

This semester I am taking five classes.
  • Professional Development
  • Activism & Social Movements in Higher Education
  • Contemporary Issues in Higher Education
  • Case Studies in Higher Education
  • Reforming Higher Education: What Can We Learn From Other Countries? 
When I'm not reading or writing for class I enjoy exploring the great city of Philadelphia. I love exploring new restaurants and coffee shops and there is plenty of that throughout Philly. I will keep you all updated  on what I find.

Best of luck in your application process! I know it's stressful and hard, but I promise you will end up where you need to be.


A few members in my cohort enjoying our time together at the GSE New Student Banquet. Great food, drinks & prizes.

-Austin

0 comments:

Post a Comment